Who We Are

A Long History In The Valley

The Tamalpais Valley Improvement Club is a nonprofit public benefit organization, established in 1921. For almost one hundred years, TVIC has been the voice of the Tam Valley community, addressing issues such as: emergency preparedness, land use and flood control, marshland protection, open space, paths, public transportation, recreation, traffic and development.

TVIC is the place to air and resolve community issues and disputes before they turn into big problems. Thanks to the activism of its members, the TVIC has played a major role in  preserving a quality of life here that is rarely found in such close proximity to a major city. It is no accident that this community retains its semi-rural character, with beautiful open spaces and naturally preserved Coyote Creek, and many species of wildlife co-habiting with us -- including endangered species. This prime real estate could have turned into just another suburb, but it didn't -- thanks to many years of vigilence by TVIC and Tam Valley neighbors.

image1

TVIC Timeline

image2

1921

The TVIC is born! The first meeting was held in the home of George Bencich on Glenwood Ave

Throughout the 1920's

Over the next decade, the TVIC was instrumental in bringing electrify and gas to the valley as well as bridging the creeks and building a hall.

1934

A new group of members joined the TVIC as the Tamalpais Fire Department the valley's first volunteer firefighters.

1949-1953

The TVIC campaigns for the area's first traffic light at Tam Junction but the light would take years to become reality. And the TVIC forms a flood control committee

1954

The first Rhubarb Revue show opens to enthusiastic crowds!

1959

The club purchases property at 203 Marin and plans the new Hall, which is now referred to as the Tam Valley Community Center.

image3

1966

The TVIC petitions to form a community service district- a year later we get the Tamalpais Community Service District (TCSD) including a Park and Recreation Commission!

1958

The new TVIC Hall is completed.

1971

The county finally approves a traffic light at Tam Junction.

1994

The TVIC signs a 50-year with the TCSD to manage the property at 203 Marin as  the TVCC. 

2017

The TVIC transfers the Tam Valley Community Center to the TCSD in exchange for building of the new History Archive Room.

2018

The Rhubarb Revue, which normally is held the first two weekends in May, is moved to the fall.